There are over 1.5 billion people that have no legal identity. GenKey’s mission is to give an identity to millions of people that don’t have one. GenKey is active in this fascinating high-tech environment and is purpose-driven. As a biometric expert, we deliver a full range of Digital Identity Solutions, like biometric registration of citizens and biometric de-duplication: ensuring each citizen appears only once in a national registry.
GenKey provided the biometric solution for the national elections in many countries such as Ghana, Tanzania and Mozambique; for the national health insurance funds in Kenya and Ghana, and for several social protection programs. With over 100 million of citizens biometrically enrolled and identities verified with GenKey’s solutions, we have a proud reputation in supporting developing economies in their need to build sustainable identity solutions.
GenKey operates globally, with offices in Europe, India and Africa.
About the Job and the Team
You will be part of a small team based in Eindhoven, dedicated to one of our key and high-end products called ABIS (see below). As a software developer you will be responsible for extending and maintaining the product functionality, as part of our continuous development cycle. Eventually, you may also interface with a team in Ghana, and make short trips to countries to support deployments of ABIS.
The key product you will be working on is ABIS, a “deduplication” solution in software. This software allows to find persons registered more than once, based on fingerprint comparisons within the entire population. To illustrate the massive amount of work involved: deduplicating a population of 20 million citizens with 10 fingerprints per person requires nearly 2*1015 fingerprint comparisons!
To handle such large populations, ABIS can be deployed on a cluster of servers using massively parallel processing. To keep this manageable, the product uses containers orchestrated by Helm and Kubernetes running in a Linux environment.
As a backend server application ABIS has a web application as its dashboard.
ABIS is mainly written in Java, and we use tools such as Maven, Bash, Angular, Git, Artifactory, VSC and Jira. The test environment uses Jenkins and TestBDD, and the databases used are PostgreSQL and ElasticSearch.
Because the product handles biometric data, security is always a focal point.
- Finished an engineering education on a university level (BSc/MSc level or equivalent).
- Have demonstrable experience in software development.
- Knowledge of Linux and Java is a must – knowledge about other technologies used in the development environment (as given above) is an asset.
- Willingness to learn on the job.
- Proficient in the English language. Dutch is useful, but not required.
- Being able to work in the office in Eindhoven, at least 2 days per week.
What’s in it for you
- Help to improve an industry leading deduplication software.
- Be part of a small ambitious software development team, which aims to deliver reliable high-tech software.
- Work within a small but internationally oriented company that pursues a higher goal: make people count by given them a legal identity.
- A full-time contract with all the benefits – pension scheme, bonus, compensation for travel and possibility to work for a number of days per week from home and for the rest at our office at the High-Tech Campus.
- Laptop and phone provided by GenKey.
- Field trips to our customers in Africa if you like to get involved in customer support.
You are interested? Please send a mail to: email@example.com
Remark: if you are not able to travel to Eindhoven at least 2 days per week, your application will not be considered and we will not answer you.
GenKey are experts in biometrics. Together with partners they provide a full range of digital biometric identity products, used by governments, public institutions and businesses. With over 100 million identities verified, GenKey have a proud reputation in supporting developing economies in their need to build sustainable biometric identity solutions. GenKey operate globally, with offices in Europe, Africa and the US.